Thursday, June 12, 2014

Thinking Thursday -or- My All-Time Favorite Books

If you know me personally or just frequent my blog, you probably know that I love reading. I am almost always reading something, and I'm often reading more than one book simultaneously. So this week, I thought I'd share some of my all-time favorites. I am always looking for recommendations, so please share your favorites in the comments!

(These are in no particular order because they're all awesome in their own way!)

Favorite Classics


Jane Austen's Persuasion

I love all her novels (Emma least of all), but I especially love Persuasion. It is a wonderful story about love and loss and I think it's a bit more "grown up" than the usual favorite, Pride & Prejudice. Don't worry, I still love that one too.

Charles Dicken's David Copperfield

When I was in college, I studied the works of Charles Dickens for a semester and loved every minute of it. David Copperfield is especially great because it's not as inaccessible as Bleak House and not as overdone as Oliver Twist.

Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged

I have enjoyed all of Rand's fiction, but I always find myself returning to Atlas Shrugged. Her characters are not sympathetic at all, and her political message is unforgiving, but I love this book for the story itself. I love the idea of John Galt being just that - an idea. If nothing else, this book will make you think about how you think. And that's a good thing.

Joseph Heller's Catch-22

Satire is fun to read, as long as you get it. This book, though wildly irreverent, is one of my favorites because it shows the complete absurdity of war while also showing the horror of it. This is a complex read, but also laugh-out-loud funny at times.

Favorite Non-Fiction


Harriet Lerner's The Dance of Anger

I am not big on self-help books, but this one helped me better understand my negative emotions and learn to deal with them in a constructive way. I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone! I also thoroughly enjoyed Lerner's The Mother Dance.

Sue Monk Kidd & Ann Kidd Taylor's Traveling With Pomegranates

I enjoy reading memoirs, especially those dealing with self-discovery. I particularly enjoyed this one due to the many themes that resonated with me: depression, writing, travel, family relationships.

Favorite Juvenile Fiction


John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice

This is an entire series that I loved. The Ranger's Apprentice, and the spin-off Brotherband Chronicles are fun adventure stories set in a medieval world with memorable characters. They build upon each other, so they're best read in order.

Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me

I absolutely loved this book. It is funny and quirky, and it even made me cry by the end. This is the story of Miranda and her best friend Sal. Miranda starts receiving mysterious notes that will ultimately help her save the life of someone she loves. Read it. I don't think you'll regret it.

Grace Lin's Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

This one is a beautifully written fantasy based on traditional Chinese folklore. It is filled with surprises at every turn, magical creatures, and a lot of love.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are swell!