Thursday, May 8, 2014

Thinking Thursday - A Few Book Reviews

I'm on a reading binge. You know those times when you ignore all the other things you have going on in your life because you just feel like reading... and reading... and reading? This one is rather ill-timed because I have a lot on my plate these days between teaching sewing lessons, trying to sell my house, going on vacation, planning birthday parties, being Cub master, etc. But that hasn't stopped me from reading a lot.

Since I love reading so much and I want everyone else to as well, I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on some of my recent reads. I'd love to hear your thoughts as well, so feel free to chip in!

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

I love books about self-discovery. This one did not disappoint, though it did seem a bit rough in places. I thought this book was great in how it intertwined the past and the present as Strayed hiked for three months, mostly alone.

Reading this book made me want to take an adventure. I know I have had times where I wish I could just leave everything behind and do something absolutely crazy... and that is what Strayed did. I certainly would never dare do anything as intense as a three month solo hike, but it is fun to think about.

Would I recommend it: Yes!


Bury Her Deep by Catriona McPherson

I'm always in the mood for a fun little mystery, so I have enjoyed reading McPherson's Dandy Gilver series. I've read a few of them now and I have to say, this one was not my favorite.

The mystery and story are good up until near the end when it all unravels... in a way that I don't think anyone would ever guess. In some mysteries, that is a good thing, but I don't think that it works well in this one. I felt like there was too much misdirection and not enough clues as to the real solution.

Would I recommend it: Yes, with reservations.


I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree by Laura Hillman

Obviously this is a big jump to make from a fun mystery novel. This is a memoir of a Schindler's List survivor. This is a wonderful, poignant memoir. It is hard to fathom Hannelore's resilience in the face of the horrible atrocities of the Holocaust.

Despite the heavy subject matter, this is a beautiful narrative of Hillman's experience as a young woman struggling to survive, and ultimately finding love in spite of her terrible circumstances.

Would I recommend it: Definitely yes.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are swell!