Monday, September 30, 2013

Holiday Gift Guide - Parenting Edition

As I've spent the last week attempting to potty train my daughter, I've dealt with my fair share of frustration and impatience... and resignation. I think all parents will know what I'm talking about. Don't get me wrong -- I truly believe that my children are amazing and wonderful and I love them with all my heart. But man, being a parent is hard sometimes. As I thought about this, I decided that parenthood requires a certain sense of humor so that you can laugh about the ridiculous situations you find yourself in. Whether it's taking a kid to the potty for the 5th time in an hour or having the neighbor kids report that your son is baring his hind parts in the front yard, sometimes you just need to laugh.

And that is what inspired me to put together this Parenting Gift Guide. I've collected a selection of gift ideas from various Etsy shops that would be perfect for any parent. I hope you'll click through and visit some of these shops because they have more great stuff!


I wish that my kids would understand who the boss is supposed to be. Maybe this clock would help them remember... you know, if they could read.


It seems like it could be good to have a nice journal like this in which to vent my frustrations. And no, I don't really want to punch my kids in the face (because they have really sweet faces), but venting wouldn't hurt.


I'm going to start saying this to my kids. Maybe it could serve as a reminder that they ought to be a bit more grateful that I pour them glasses of milk when they ask for them.


No such thing when you're a parent. 


I feel like this on a lot of days. Sometimes I wish I could be the one to lay down on the floor and cry until someone offered me a snack. Or maybe I could be the one who can run and play all day long without a care in the world. Or I can spend my day coloring in my blanket fort. Sounds relaxing.


Every week when I talk to my mom on the phone and tell her our stories from the week, I am just amazed at the insanity of parenting small children. But it is true that I brought this on myself.


Our son is an epically picky eater. And now our daughter is learning to follow suit.  A sign like this might help me enforce my demands that they eat what is on their plates. Maybe they would respect a sign's authority more than they do mine. Maybe.

1 comment :

  1. I like just every bit of this. Miles inherited a shirt that says, "I'm the Boss" and every time he wears it I cringe in fear that someone will tell him what it says. Maybe I need that clock. Or a tattoo.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are swell!